REAch2 is absolutely committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all members of the Academy Community and beyond. We will actively foster social cohesion and the elimination of all forms of discrimination, harassment and victimization. Our commitment to promoting equality of opportunity and eliminating discrimination applies equally to all members of our community but particularly those with a protected characteristic.
The protected characteristics are those defined in the Equality Act 2010: age, disability, gender reassignment; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion or belief; sex and sexual orientation. We are also committed to eliminating unlawful discrimination against someone because of their marriage or civil partnership status.
The principles of this single equality scheme will inform all of our decision and policy making. This means that we will ensure that we have gathered sufficient information and consulted appropriately to ensure that in developing new policies and ways of working we have taken full account of the potential impact on all children and adults affected by our decisions and particularly those with protected characteristics.
We are committed to monitoring the implementation of all of our policies in order to ensure that in practice they contribute to the realization of our policy commitment to:
• eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimization;
• advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not;
• and foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
In the advancement of equality of opportunity the Academy will seek to:
• remove or minimize disadvantages suffered by people due to their protected characteristics;
• take steps to meet the needs of people with certain protected characteristics where these are different from the needs of other people;
• and encourage people with certain protected characteristics to participate in public life or in other activities where their participation is disproportionately low.
In order to meet our specific duties under the Equality Act 2010, we will:
Publish annually information relating to the children who share a protected characteristic that are affected by our policies and procedures.
Prepare and publish one or more objectives, at least once every four years, which we have identified that we need to achieve in order to deliver our policy commitments.
For further information about how REAch2 and the Academy is complying with the public sector equality duty please read our Single Equality Duty Policy.